Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Easter Egg Garland




Years ago, my step daughter made me a big egg and left part of it open so she could put in grass and Easter candies. It was so pretty and colorful! I just loved it! Here are some pictures that were on another blog and instructions how to make them. Hope you like them!

Make a stiffener mixture. I used 1 cup of liquid starch mixed with a half cup of flour. You could double or triple this recipe if you’d like.  I did.
 Next I got some string, I used embroidery floss. You could also use pearl cotton thread or crochet thread.
Then you stick your string in a bowl of starch goo, but don’t just plop it in there like I first did. Your string WILL get into a knot… and it’s not fun to try and un-snarl gooey string.  So don’t do it. Instead coil your string into the mixture and gently press it into the goo, I didn’t get one knot doing it this way. 
 
For a little egg, blow up a water balloon and wrap the gooey string around the balloon. Make sure you wipe off the excess goo and let it fall back into the bowl, it doesn’t need to be drippy.
One skein of embroidery floss was just enough for one water balloon sized egg.
It’ll take several hours for it to dry. Once it dries, pop the balloon. You might have crusty stuff in-between the string, I scraped that out with a straight pin. 
But then I decided to thread the eggs onto some more embroidery floss and made a garland out of them. You’ll need a fairly big needle to do this.
I threaded it  at about 1/4th of the way down from the top of the egg. To keep them in place, I hot glued the eggs to the string. Here is the link of the blog: http://www.craftyendeavor.com/2012/03/08/easter-egg-garland/

She also made some different size eggs.
 



No comments:

Post a Comment